View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Southdown/Long Bay and other major developments, you would think they would lower the tax rate, but instead, we built the Taj Mahal type fire department and other extravagant spending, the tax rate went up despite the increased tax base! I don't see where the average joe can benefit!
Woodsy made a point, we have very little market-rate housing on the market and market-rate rental is also in high demand. How is building 750K condos going to benefit us? I know for a fact most of the seasonal summer help in the area that came from out of state cram themselves into small apartments or buildings in order to survive! I was told by the fire dept that this is common and it is a fire hazard! I'm all for affordable housing!
You can build whatever you want on your land with your capital.
But if you had built the 'Taj' within the original tax base, the current tax rate would be much higher. And if they didn't build any new housing, it would be impossible to find any place to rent as people moving into the area would purchase all the existing stock at higher and higher prices.

The problem with the average joe is they don't want to be the average joe.
If they did, the whole area would look like the 1940/1950s.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote