Thread: Wedding Ring
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Ring

I'll take a run at it with a Fishers metal detector after others try as I have alot I'm doing elsewhere. Post your results on the forum.

About 7 years ago I was called to find a Rolex watch worth I'm told about $7,000, in Wolfboro. I found it-barely-without a metal detector. It was hardly visible at all-just a spec of reflection caught my eye so I checked it out-got it out of the weeds. This watch was huge and it sank in the silt/mud almost completely but this little flicker caught my attention.

Advice on searching: Invert your body head down about 45 degrees -maintain perfect neutral buoyancy off the bottom as you lightly kick along otherwise it will silt out on you, depending on the bottom. And don't assume it will be in mud or silt-it could have landed on a rock or gravel bed etc.. But if you trash the water column with a silt-out you're done for the day regardless. Don't even land on the bottom-do a controlled descent. Dig gently to probe for anything that looks promising and wear thin gardening gloves-rubber palms with a cloth back to give your much better dexterity.

A few years ago I found this 6"? 8"? Dirty Harry special in the CT River; As big as it is, all I saw was a 1/2" wide, 2" strip of reflective metal on the river bottom-nothing more. I was facing up stream (always when digging) so as I dug the silt etc. passed over me keeping vision clear. Had I not gone slowly and looked carefully I would have missed it. I tagged it with surveyors tape and swam it to shallow water for easy retrieval at the end of the dive.

Think it out when diving-don't rush the search.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post: