View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #57
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Firstly, the story about the dentist is true. It is obvious NTW doesn't know much about the Navy. Not all ships are assigned surgeons. Smaller ships, like destroyers, may have a dentist, a PA, or some other health professional who is not a doctor. These health professionals must deal with any and all emergencies when at sea. My friend had to reattach an arm of a seaman who severed his arm.

Secondly, I liken this to a bad flu because the raw numbers tell me so. To date, 56,803 Americans have died because of the Chinese coronavirus. (Although, I think this number is vastly inflated, since it includes patients in hospice, regular flu victims, and pretty much anyone in a nursing or retirement facility.) But let's take the number as is. For argument sake, let's say after the second wave that a total of 120,000 Americans will fall victim to the Chinese coronavirus. In 2017-2018, between 60,000 and 85,000 Americans died of the flu. I would say that 120,000 deaths is a bad year, perhaps even an historically bad year.

We adopted our course of action because the models were wrong and overhyped. The media and social media got caught up with "flattening the curve" although this approach had never been tried. There is no evidence as of now that quarantining and sheltering has done anything to protect us. Nearly all victims are old and/or have preexisting conditions. It seems to me that a better course would have been to protect those in nursing and retirement facilities, since the vast majority of victims are from there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: