Thread: Oil Change Cost
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 06:43 PM   #32
ApS

Thumbs up Gasoline, but Especially Diesel, Temperatures, Geography, Chromium, Iron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
...Why?? My car takes synthetic oil and Chevrolet recommends changing the oil every 7,000 miles. I did that until I saw some very persuasive videos explaining why that's a terrible idea and showing the damage that results. My new mechanic told me recently that the 7,000-mile recommendation gets the car through the warranty period, after which the manufacturer doesn't care what happens to the car. I'm going back to 3,000-mile oil changes unless someone here has a reason why 5,000 or 7,000 is OK.
For our gearheads, a video worth watching has a chemist (and car-guy) who markets only break-in oils.

The interview between "Dave" and the chemist (in the dark-framed glasses) covers a lot of ground, but the takeaway is as bolded above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7PlRsqMyA

Start at minute 13 and get your best life-time sophisticated lecture on oil, rings, additives (especially zinc), fuels ⛽️, rebuilds, break-in oils, "sims" (simulated breaking-in at the bench), oil change intervals, yesterday's folklore--and more.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote