View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 07:55 PM   #120
LRSLA

Default what goes up....

Since you don't quite get my drift yet lets try a different
direction.

Since noise is considered a form of pollution, i.e.,,noise pollution.
Since there is a legal limit to noise supposedly for a reason, i.e.,,,
because levels above a certain dB cause impacts.

So lets just say that when you operate your boat illegally you are
polluting the lake environment.

Noise regulations were not developed in an arbitrary manner.
The regulations for the most part were developed by the manufacturers associations.

The same guys you bought your boat from. This is one of the problems. People are buying boats from manufactures that are not telling the new owners were their boats are legal and were they are not legal. A boat certified to operate at 92 dB will NOT be legal to be sold, operated or be resold in the State of Maine.

Maine State bill LD-1280 went into effect in September of 2003. This bill increased the fines for violations of the noise regs and forced compliance with the regs with and with out cutouts in-place. LD-1280 also made the operation of a boat that was in violation of the noise regs an illegal act for the first time in state history.

This law change did not happen in a vacuum. State Senators and Representatives sponsored the bill. IFW supported it, the IFW committee voted unanimously to forward it to the State legislature for a vote. The Maine Recreational Boat Manufactures Association spoke in support of the Bill. The legislature voted it into law and the Governor signed the bill, thus it became law in the State of Maine.

So as you see to focus on me as a source of your frustration is not really appropriate or correct. As density increases in a region, as you have eluded to, regulatory activity actually increases.

The increased enforcement on the lakes regionally is directly related to the increase in the number of boats and the increased traffic. So the fact that an area increases in seasonal or year round population density does not correlate to an automatic increase in environmental pollution. Is enforcement agencies or not responsive or effective the impact of pollution will increase as population increases.

But to say that I am blowing the issue out of proportion with out even acknowledging my data acquisition is to forward a non-supportive statement. I have scientific data that shows serious noise violations. I have spent many hours acquiring this data with certified very precise measuring devices. What do you base your assertion, "that I am blowing this out of proportion "'on?

I understand your feelings regarding, "walking on egg shells". I want you to be able to feel comfortable on the lake and enjoy your water craft.

It is kinda like the feeling when you are operating your car above the speed limit and you don't have a radar detector. You always feel one step away from a big ticket and points on your license. We kinda push the limit and operate at a speed that we think is at a level were we won't see the
blue lights in our rear view mirror.

Well the boating regs are no different. If you get caught operating illegally your going to get a fine. I know you understand this relationship. If the issue was speeding on my road I would have called the sheriff. The sheriff would have set up a speed trap and traffic would slow down for a while.

The noise issue isn't any different. Harassing me won't change anything, so you might want to look into some mufflers. just make sure you fully understand the regs. i would be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the regs.