View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
jeffk

We have had two Goldens from young puppies. We used crates and as soon as they were let out of their crate we brought them right outside to do their business. Then they came in to play. They both whined the first couple nights in their crates but settled right down after that, often going in by themselves to nap. They never messed their crates. After eating we took them out for a walk again. Sticking to this routine, even as young puppies, we had almost zero problems. You just need to be trained as to when their natural need to go is likely to be and make sure they are outside to do it. No playing outside until they have finished. We also used this time to walk our property line. By the time they were solidly potty trained they were also very aware of our property boundaries. After that I could let them out without a lead and they would go potty and then wander the property. It was rare for them to wander off.

As for cleaning I have found the first thing to do is soak up the mess as much as possible with paper towels. Then I use warm water on the area and then soak it up again using pressure to soak up the wet until the towels are coming up mostly dry. Sometime I put a brick over the towel to keep it in good contact to soak up the water. Finally I use the deodorant cleaner. I use Resolve carpet cleaner and that has worked OK for me. I have tried others but to be honest they all seemed to work about the same and I can find Resolve just about anywhere.

Another trick. We put a set of bells, jingle bells on a leather strap, hanging on the door. We trained the dogs to ring the bells when they want to go out. I started by pushing their muzzle into the bells and then praising them for ringing the bell and then let them out. They got the idea very quickly. They often go to the door to look out but when they want to go out they ring the bells.

Last edited by jeffk; 04-29-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Additional thought
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote