View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
Grant

Default CT, MA and Everything in Between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
We've discovered a pleasant way to avoid 84 altogether, and perhaps you'd like to try it?

From NJTP, take 287 N to 87 N (NYThruway Ext.). Follow all the way to the Troy area, and take the access road to Mass Pike. Get on Mass Pike and follow it all the way to 495. The rest is the same.

It adds a few miles, but the road conditions are vastly improved, traffic is rarely an issue, services are quite convenient, and I usually arrive at my destination 1/2 hour or more sooner, and quite a bit less stressed!
Over the years, I think I've tried every possible route. And the one you mention is the one my brother and I unintentionally took in the spring of '04, when we missed the I-84 exit on the NY Thruway. Realized we'd yacked our way past the exit and said, "What the heck, let's avoid CT altogether and hit the Mass Pike."

Not a bad drive -- although a bit longer than the CT route. But we had to try it, and we were quite proud of having made the trek and avoiding CT.

That being said, in four or five round trips this year so far, CT has not presented any major delays -- just the usual construction- and accident-induced sluggishness. There...I've just jinxed myself for next Friday.