View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Default Changable lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
I'd like to know who is the rocket scientist that first figured out the EZ-Pass lanes should be in between exact change and human toll takers. Then - who let that stupid idea last so long. At the Hooksett tolls, you sit in long lines - with people zipping back and forth between the two outside sets of lanes - and when you finally get close, the EZ-only lanes are mostly empty. Even at the last minute then - there are still people figuring out all of a sudden that they don't have exact change and have to cross in front of ez-users to get to the inexact change lanes. Someone should make a comedy movie about what goes on there. What's wrong with the DMV that they can't figure out that there is something wrong with what they first set up.
While it may work better now, I would disagree with pm203 and say it still ain't working great. Just as lg says above the problem is with lane segregation and separation of EZ Pass from all others. The problem as I see it stems from the changable nature of the leftmost lanes. Sometimes they're northbound and other times they're southbound (changed as need for traffic flow). Without this consideration they should make leftmost lane(s) the EZ pass lane(s) with exact change and human toll takers then in the next lanes from left to right. Perhaps when they get enough hardware to implement EZ Pass in more lanes this can happen and still allow the flexible lanes. For that matter they should try to eliminate the toll booths for the EZ Pass and let then drive at near full speed under a "toll bridge" (full lane widths) as is done in other states.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 11-05-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote