View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not to hijack this thread, and hopefully helpful the OP, a question to Joey2665; can you provide any insight into why we see so many cracked basement floors these day.

I dont really see cracked walls, but I have not seen any basement floor that was crack free.

In years past it was the opposite. you can look at older homes and see plenty of cracks in foundation walls, and none in older homes floors.

I also notice most builders not using rebar in the walls and only low cost wire in the floors, no one seems to use much metal these days.

Any thoughts about what really works and not???

Thanks

As far as the use of rebar and wire goes in concrete, concrete like every other product has advanced with technology there are now many additives that we can put into the concrete including fiber reinforcement that substitute for rebar and does not compromise the strength or integrity of the concrete.

As far as cracks in the floor in the basement goes remember the basement floor is not structural so they tends to be less attention paid to it sometimes they only put a 2 inch bass for the floor which if there’s movement is going to lend itself to crack where years ago in the foundations and I use the poor the foundation floor was 4-6 inches. But also keep in mind that 50+ years ago many basement floors were dirt they weren’t even concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote