View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Way too general a question. What will you use it for? What will the water conditions be that you'll use it in? How light does it have to be?

We've got two (inside seating) Pelican 100X kayaks that are perfect for quiet cove floating and short distance paddling. They track fine and are stable enough, but we don't get much rough water or strong winds.

I just grabbed a Vibe Yellowfin 100 (sit-on-top) for my 12-year-old son, which is more of a fishing kayak than general use. It is definitely more stable and has a much better seat, but it's also 20 pounds heavier and much wider, making it hard/impossible for him to put in the water by himself.

If just looking for something to tool around in, hit up Marketplace and grab what looks good–there's not a huge difference between lower end 'yaks if you stay with the good brands.

If looking for more of a specialty use, do some review research or, again, hit up Marketplace and grab what looks good.

I picked up the Pelicans for ~$100 each and the Vibe, which was literally brand new, for $300.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote