View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #25
loony

I have always kept a handheld on my boat set to weather alert and channel 16/9 scan. The weather alert is great when a storm pops up on a hot summers afternoon. I have manuvered away from a storm many a time. In an emergency theres no quicker way to contact marine patrol, or other nearby boats for help. Too bad fewer boaters are using them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Let me start with - I am a HUGE fan of having & using a VHF radio on the Lake.

Over the last several years CH 16 has quieted down immensely dropping the useless & constant “chatter” it once had. The purpose of CH 16 is to hail another boat and once contact has been made, move to an alternate channel to have your discussion leaving CH 16 (for the most part) clear/open for emergancy calls or the occassional weather advisory.

Also everyone should be aware that since NH State Police took over MP they no longer dispatch or monitor CH 16 from the HQ building in Gilford. However, “some” of the MP boats (while on patrol) do monitor. This, you must be aware, presents another variable for if they are underway at speed, they often do not hear the call. Trick here is to try multiple times should the incident warrent.

Sea Tow & TowBoat US do monitor CH16, but again only while on the water and if underway at speed- may or may not hear you on the first hail.

From my 40 year experiance on the lake, you’d be amazed at how many boaters indeed monitor CH16 but ignore some of the idle & periodic chatter. Yet, if you describe the emergancy in your “hail” watch how many Samaritons come out of the woodwork !! Myself being one.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote