View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It's been a long time, but I recall buying a used car for a specific price, no trade-in. When we got to the contract, it was my price, plus a fee that was pre-printed on the contract. Salesman said they were obligated to charge that, which is why it was pre-printed. It wasn't big, but it was the principle, so I started to walk. They decided to adjust the numbers so the bottom line was the agreed upon price.
I think car dealers are developing better reputations and practices now that they compete with online buyers and sellers.
I had the exact same thing happen when I bought a used car for my daughter years ago. It ended the same way and they sold the car for the agreed upon amount. I have found the best negotiation strategy at a car dealer is sometimes to walk towards the door.

18 months ago I bought a new car from MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua. MSRP and no added fees. Four other dealers I talked to first had a significant markup for the same car. Cantin Chevrolet in Laconia wouldn't sell it without significant up charges for dealer fees, finish protector, locking lug nuts Etc.

I think most of these fees are just to add to the dealers bottom line.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote