View Single Post
Old 05-31-2023, 10:36 AM   #43
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
A lot of second home/seasonal properties/vacation home condo associations and homeowners associations have a provision in their bylaws that states that you cannot declare said property as a permenant/primary residence. This was often a requirement of the county, for example in our assocation Belknap County requied this be put in, in order for them to grant status of the assocation and file titles and deeds.
This was a measure used back in the 80s/90s to stop people from using their second homes to register their kids in the school system instead of where they were living and to have allegedy no further burden on town services. - some towns dont do trash pick up, possibly registering vehicles and the like.

Some of this has fallen off as you can register vehicles and toys because guess what the money is too good, and for example Laconia will still offer curb side trash pickup for associations. but forget anything else

Still a non resident when it comes to:
any type of License like fishing or hunting
voting/representation in the town as a property owner
not being able to speak in town meeting as a resident if there is one
town dump and other possible services
schools
food assistance/health assistance (except emergency of course)

but the tax rates do not reflect the lack of services you are eligible for vs those eligible for everything - "taxation withouth representation"

I have often wonderd why I am not able to vote in local elections only for the property I own in that town.
Because you knew when you purchased that you couldn't.
Taxation without representation is a historically incorrect statement. When I go to Mass or Florida, I pay their sales taxes... I didn't vote for those taxes or have anyone in their Legislature or Executive branch that I voted for.
In fact, in NH, prior to the 14th Amendment after the Civil War... and then some time due to social delay... only Protestants were allowed to vote. Jews and Catholics could buy property and pay taxes, but could not vote, hold elected/appointed office, or teach in a public school.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote