View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #24
Not to Worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Historical uses of disease names are irrelevant to this discussion.

Geographic names have been applied to diseases/plagues at least since the Middle Ages. Syphilis, in particular, has had many place names, and in this context the names HAVE been used against the enemy. Example, in England syphilis was the French disease when France was the enemy.

Likewise, names have been used as an honor. German measles ( rubella) was named in honor of the German scientist who distinguished it from measles (rubeola).

And, as pointed out, West Nile Fever and Lyme disease are just geographic names with no political connotation.

Initially, calling Covid 19, (which isn’t its real name) Wuhan Flu, or Chinese Flu was not necessarily racist but primarily geographic.

But context is all.

When the President continued to call it the Chinese virus despite the much more widespread use of Covid 19 it was either because he could not remember Covid 19 or he had a political purpose in mind, reminding us it came from CHINA.

It is a total waste of time to bicker about this ( or to read my opinion ) when the members of the Forum who are interested in such trivialities perfectly well know that, in general, the more politically right of us who support the president tend to use Chinese virus and the more left and the scientific community use Covid 19 or (SARS-CoV-2).
There is far right and far left. Most americans fall somewhere in the middle. Most of us are able to think on or our own and not believe the news 100% nor not believe 100% (fake news).

So while I agree with what you said I think the reality is more nuanced. Trying not to wade into politics here but the current President does not fall into what traditional Republicans stood for just as Bernie Sanders does not represent the typical Democrat. News media that carry only one side of the story are probably most at fault for our becoming so polarized but shame on anyone who does not listen or read contrary opinions to make an informed choice on what is true.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post: