View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob
I've been trying to recreate how my Dad drove to Gilford from Lynn, Mass in the mid-50's. What I remember is the big white rock next to Purley Burrill's gas station in Lynnfield; Rte 114; Rte 28 through NH, with the Indian Cliff stone face & the mocassin shop; Alton Bay with the bunnies and dogs in cages on the right just as you come over the hill to where you can see the Lake water; and the old shore-line Rte 11. Actually, I always wanted to bicycle that route (doing it in sections might still be feasible). Thought someone might fill in some of the gaps in my story.
A couple notes. First of all, I grew up in Lynnfield, almost directly across the street from the big white rock at PB's BP station. Used to pedal down there for a 25 cent Fanta orange soda (glass bottle!). That would have been mid-70's. You probably went up Rt 1 to 114, or you drove through Lynnfield Center to Middleton/114. And when you say the Indian cliff/mocassin store, are you talking about the place on rt 3/28 in Hooksett? That is not far from where I live now. We would drive up to Winni from our house in Lynnfield. Of course I have absolutely no recollection of the route we took. I do believe we went up Rt 1 to I-95 and beared off to the left to the Spaulding and Rt 25. Friends of our family had a place in Gilford, in fact they still do. I believe it is on Dockham Shores Rd.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote