View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #15
Weekend Pundit

Default I Carry One

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
Anyone else have an extra propeller sitting with their marina in case they hit a rock?
I was told its a good idea for a couple reasons; It can really mess up your engine + boat to drive around with a damaged prop, and you'll lose valuable time on the water during the season waiting for the part to arrive from the manufacturer.

I haven't heard of this, but it makes sense to me. Is this something boat owners invest in?
I carry a spare prop and the appropriate spinner and locking bolt onboard. I want to be able to mount a new prop regardless of whether I'm somewhere on the lake or back at my dock. I've only had to mount a spare prop once in 30 years of boating on the lake when I lost the screw while teaching my son how to drive the boat when he was 11 years old. It took all of 15 minutes to mount the spare prop.

At the moment I have the speed prop (14 x 23) mounted and the 'regular' prop (14 x 21) as my spare.

Both props are aluminum and I've had them both rebuilt at one point or another over the years I've had my boat.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote