Thread: Golden breeder
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
4 for Boating

Getting from overseas, we dealt with a company that helped get all the paperwork together for us so I’m sure that cost us money – how much was hard to say. The dog came over in a big plastic dog crate with all the paperwork and shots – they choose a plane that had environmental storage that is designed for animal transfer. I understand some of the larger planes have this feature. Again, that cost us too. No dog or cat I think can come into the US that is less than 4 months old.

Cancer-wise > here is a link to the big study going on – lots of articles on this. Like you said, what is causing it? I can tell you that we are in a different house now and use different food so things like that I’m not so sure. Plus, if it was those things, one would think it would hit other breeds as well. To me, it somehow found its way into the US bloodlines and now is impossible to get out. Breeders would need to start all over with new dogs from somewhere else. The thing is that the US golden looks and acts in a way that took many, many years to breed. Picking the best of the litter each time to get the stance, color, nose, coat…. The golden we have looks and acts like an everyday golden but is not as tall and the coat is not as fluffy. Let's see if we can get this one to dock dive like the last.

40 years ago, they US golden lived to 15 now 8 to 10.

https://www.thealternativedaily.com/...-cancer-study/

You are very lucky that the spleen was negative as that type is not typically and our last golden was not so lucky with the same thing. The pain to see our golden slow down, get dizzy and look at each other and say here we go again. To the hospital remove the mass / get the bad news / 1 month surgery recovery and have the dog for another 5 months (of happy times) before having to make that decision. Also, I think 13 years for your prior Golden was actually a good life span – above the curve anyway. We would take that in a second.

We are thinking of getting another one (to have 2) – how is that and what is the age gap that you have? Both male or female or mix?

I hope everyone’s golden lives to very old age – such a wonderful dog.
Who cannot smile just looking at that face?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 for Boating For This Useful Post: