Thread: Golden breeder
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #15
4 for Boating

This is a bit off topic but seeing it was about Goldens I could not resist.
So we are on our 4th golden (love the breed)

About a year ago we lost our 3rd to cancer - the first 2 went the same way with not a one getting over 7 years old. (3 dogs / 2 different sources/breeders) Anyway, after we lost our last dog, we investigated what in the hell is going on and if we just had bad luck. What we found is that the published cancer rate here in the US for Goldens is up over a 60% cause of death and the life expectancy is now down to 9 to 10 years in the US where in Europe it is 12-14 years old with a lower 38% cancer rate. To me it is in many of the bloodlines at this point in the US but that's just a personal oppinion as I'm not a doctor/vet.

>> So we purchased our current golden from overseas (not a show dog) - I KNOW it seems crazy but from our track record to go back and buy again here in the US and experience the same results would be insanity - so painful to lose a dog at that age and before his time. (You know how the saying goes... doing the same thing expecting different results)

Something is going on with this breed in the US with cancer - the numbers show that. (In fact they have a very large study going on now to try to figure out why) Does that mean you will get a dog here in the US that gets cancer, who is to say but I can tell you that it is a problem here in the US and it was 3 strikes for us.

Send some pictures when you get your new puppy!
4 for Boating is online now   Reply With Quote