Thread: Golden breeder
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I spent over $2K for each of my Goldens and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I know for a fact that Maryterese at Colonial Goldens does all the work around the kennel herself, (along with a 20-something helper). She is the one bathing/grooming all the dogs; she is the one feeding them; she is the one shoveling all the poop; she is the one scrubbing the kennel at the end of each day so the place doesn't look or smell like a kennel. And yes, she shows her higher quality dogs as well. And I would absolutely want to work with a breeder that brings in a Vet to ensure the health of the animals and I'm willing to pay for that.

I'm sure that most, if not all, small "home" breeders are very similar to Colonial. They are not puppy mills; they are people who truly love their animals and what they do, and they are not lining their pockets with cash.
In a situation like the two Breeders linked here, what you are paying for is for them to go after their ambitions to get the next great show dog... Don't kid yourself they are set up as a business.. I don't question that they are great dogs.... And I am certainly not trying to shame anyone for paying that much.

What I like to point out however, is that if you look around you can find good quality dogs, that aren't breed in puppy mills, for considerably less. Most times they are people that care deeply about the dogs, may have shown them at one time, and are now just like to promote the bread. In my case, the breeder had a couple of dogs she showed, because they where ideal... she then took them and a few others that she acquired in the process and decided to breed decent healthy pets.... She was not looking to breed the next stable show dog, in fact she didn't keep any puppies for the 2 years I worked with her.

I have dealt with breeders such as the ones in this thread... if they will try and tell you that they are dedicated to the breed, and trying to bread fine examples of the breed.... But all of them in the end are trying to breed a champion show dog, I have even seen some go as far, as requiring you to bring the dogs back at one year of age, so they can evaluate them, and give you another puppy in exchange if they believe the dog is show worthy... They don't advertise it, but you end up finding it sometimes in the paper work.... Both of these kennels indicate that they do not give you breeding rights.... why is that? Because especially with a male they are scared you will stud the dog out, to a breeder that they compete with.... It is a business don't be fooled....

BTW, 2 male boarder collies, I have all the paper work, and full breeding rights....I have the complete linage tree, so that I can ensure there is no inbreeding.... Will I ever use it, probably not.....

The message is simple, look around do some research, and if you think the right thing to do is spend 2000$ then that is your choice.... But don't get lulled into the fact that you have too....