View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Crossing the white lines, stop line or right side line is probably considered to be a lane control issue. If you go to take the CDL test for driving a truck, crossing a white line will get you flunked.

A standard 53' van trailer is 8'6" wide. The tractor on a semi-tractor trailer rig is eight feet wide, and a New Hampshire driving lane is usually twelve feet wide. Truck drivers are supposed to keep their semi-tractor trailers within the 12' wide lane and that is called lane control. If the truck drivers with large trucks can accomplish this safe driving practice, then it is definately not too much to ask that four-wheeled automobiles drive with lane control too.

Worst case - real example: In about June, 2005, or 2006, one guy driving a car crossed the white line for maybe two or three seconds while driving along the s-curve on Route 49 in Thornton, and he struck two Harley Davidsons, and he killed three of the four riders, two married couples in their 50's from Indiana, on the motorcycles due to his lack of lane control so lane control should be taken seriously.
FLL a lot of the white stop lines are not in the proper place for you to see traffic coming. Many a time I've had to go well over the white line to be able to see oncoming traffic weather it be due to overgrown tree's which is very common or in some cases vehicles parked that block your view. It isn't always a clear cut.
Also FLL I ride a motorcycle and for what it's worth I see many more motorcycles riding on or over the yellow line especially on corners then I do car's and trucks.
Maybe the cops should start setting up check points on sharp corners like they do on the snowmobile trails.