View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #26
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok....so it's all about the newly passed switchable exhaust law, and has absolutely nothing to do with things like the weather, the price of a gallon of gas, and yes......gasp.....the unmentioned here in this thread up till now .....quiet now.....pssst......the 45/30 speed limits law...shhhhhh...quiet on that item everyone!!! ???

Just thought of this.....and another real reason there's less boats out there on Winnipesaukee....is because the Ames' Farm boat launch area has become closed as of 2010 to non-hotel guests or general public use. Ames' Farm had been a popular boat launch and get-together spot for a long long time, and now it's closed. Unlike the nearby Lakes Newfound, Winnisquam, and Squam: Lake Winnipesaukee doesn't have a state boat launch so trailer boaters are probably trailering to these three state boat launch lakes which are free-to-use, well designed, and complete with parking, rest rooms, ramps and docks.

Does that make any sense to you?
FLL you bring up very valuable points. You are correct, the economy, price of gas, and access to the lake have certainly made a difference in the number of boats this year.

However it is valid for others to point out, that in Area's such as the Wiers it is quiter as boats are now able to worry free use the switchable exhaust that many boats have already installed, and where only disabled do to laws.

Now to address the argument that speed limits have kept people away... well certainly it may be. However living on the lake and having been there almost every weekend this summer. There are just as many performance boats running around the lake as always. Most do obey the law, so they don't stick out like sore thumbs like they used to.

All in all the laws on the books have had serious and notable effects on the lake. Which means that they are working. The question is more to the point is the lake any safer or quieter because of them. In reference to the quietness issue, I have to say I have noticed that no wake zones and town harbors have gotten quieter as there is no more fear of throwing the switch to quiet a boat down, and getting caught with an illegal exhaust. On the contrary with a speed limit in place do I feel any safer on the lake? The answer to that one is no, I don't. I have run into just as many idiots this year as I have in the past, most if not all haven't even been in performance boats. And none have even been going any faster the 30 m.p.h.

So in my opinion the speed limit hasn't really reduced traffic, kept performance boats off the lake, or made my boating experience any more safe.

Bottom line is boating is down do to the economy, and gas prices..... Less traffic means less noise. Add on top of that the ability to use switchable exhaust system when prudent, means the lake gets even quieter. remeber the noise you here on the water, travels around and the loud noise you here might not be the boat you see in front of you....