View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Argie's Wife

Smile Tanker - emergency surgery

About a week ago we noticed Tanker was walking like he was lame. He had trouble getting up and seemed to be in pain. We took him to our vet in Gilford to get checked. He was found to have a herniated disc in his back. He was given an anti-inflammatory medication and pain medication, and we were told to keep him "quiet" (no jumping, no stairs, etc.)

Over the weekend, Tanker did very well and seemed to be back to his ol' self again.

However, Sunday night he took a bad turn. He started dragging his hind legs - he was paralyzed. We took him back to the vets on Monday morning, and were told he had a ruptured disc.

Our vets, Lakes Region Animal Hospital, did a great job of getting us connected with a neurologist in Scarborough, Maine. Argie took Tanker to Maine Veterinary Referral Center. They accepted him immediately, and he was in for surgery (hemilaminectomy) within two hours of Argie arriving there.

If you ever find yourself in a situation like this - and I hope you never do - this is a wonderful animal hospital. We are very impressed with the care, communication, and professionalism of the animal hospital. We highly recommend them!

Today, I'm headed to Maine to get my four-legged best friend. I'm looking forward to many more years with that fur-farmer!

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 05-26-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote