View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Per the ol' maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Poor Richard:
The FEET starts at the state line and ends at Exit 14 in Concord as I recall. In Nashua, the FEET an d US Rt. 3 are the same. In Merrimack US Rt 3 is the Daniel Webster Highway. New comers refer to this as "old Rt 3" in Merrimack, but it is really just Rt 3. The same thing happens all the way along I-293, I-93 as you continue your journey.
The F E Everett Turnpike does indeed start at the State line with MA and is also numbered US Rte 3. However, at exit 7, the FEET continues northbound known only as the FEET all the way to Concord, while US Rte 3 exits the turnpike at exit 7E. Rte 3 then roughly parallels the Turnpike to Manchester. He is a good description of the FEET, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Much of the turnpike's length has been overlapped by other numbered routes. Portions of the road are shared with US-3, I-93, and I-293. The southern portion of the turnpike, in Nashua, is posted as US-3, serving as an extension of the US-3 freeway (Northwest Expressway) from Burlington, Massachusetts. North of Exit 7 in Nashua, the turnpike runs by itself and has no number, but parallels US-3, which is a toll-free local road variously known as Concord Street (within the city of Nashua) and the Daniel Webster Highway (within Merrimack and Bedford). Approaching Bedford in the Manchester area, the turnpike is joined by I-293 which splits off from a concurrency with NH-101. At Exit 4 (exits are numbered for I-293 on this stretch), NH-3A joins the freeway, and the concurrency passes through Manchester, near the downtown area of the city. Upon passing Manchester, Route 3A splits off at Exit 7, I-293's last northbound exit. The freeway passes into Hooksett, and I-293 ends at an interchange with I-93. The Everett Turnpike ceases to be signed at this interchange, but joins I-93 northbound and continues towards Concord, interchanging with the southern terminus of I-89 along the way. No definitive northern terminus for the turnpike exists as far as signage is concerned. This endpoint was originally at a traffic circle next to downtown Concord that has since been replaced by Exit 14 with NH-9.

(In Manchester, rte 3 is Elm St in the downtown, continues into Hooksett where rte 28 joins it to Allentown where 28 cuts off northbound to Alton, and rte 3 continues to Concord. )

Dave

Last edited by upthesaukee; 01-19-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Add rte 3 add'l info
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post: