View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
chipj29

This is my post in the other thread linked above. I did mine myself and it really wasn't hard. Saved a TON of money, took about a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
If you do decide to get the wired electric fence, I would suggest doing it yourself. To have one professionally installed can cost big $$. I have over an acre, and did mine myself. I rented a machine from Taylor Rental that makes laying the wire real easy. It basically cuts a slit, and lays the wire down in there. I did have to cut into the driveway, but I bought a diamond asphalt cutting blade at Home Depot for $10 and did it. As someone said upthread, if you need to run a wire across an area where you will let the dogs go, just criss-cross the wire and it cancels itself. I paid about $150 for the Pet Safe kit, bought extra wire for about $30 for the spool. And the machine rental was less than $50 for a half day rental.
Make sure you plan ahead. Make a diagram of your house/yard, plan where you are going to plug in the receiver. Once you do that you can measure the distance around the area you want to cover so you make sure you get enough wire.