Thread: Speed Traps
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post

On 93 north at the MA/NH border in Salem on this past Friday (a very heavily traveled stretch of road, and is particularly busy on Friday afternoons), there was a cruiser sitting in the median cross-over. Now I don't think he was running a speed trap, because if he was, he would have been there for 6 years without seeing a speeding car. Why? Well because just the site of the cruiser has vehicles slowing to 10+ MPH below the speed limit. .
Chip

Actually I do understand exactly that tactic --- it's called "being visible" as you said in your own post all cars slow down because they see him.. Thus he has accomplished exactly the purpose sought.

I happen to travel very frequently from Ma to NH on Rte3 -- the same "being present" it deployed there as well.

And do not forget that the officers are mandated to take breaks from driving!! A lot of those times when they do - it will be two fold (1) a rest from driving their sector and (2) be visible.