Thread: Stimulus Checks
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
As a child I used to chuckle when Ralph yelled this to Alice on "The Honeymooners," but with the passage of time I no longer think it's funny to threaten to strike a woman.

How things change: why did we ever think threatening someone with domestic violence was humorous?
Yes, I thought about that soon after I hit send. There is nothing funny about domestic violence. Three reflections/reasons I did not delete:

First, I remember Ralph as a loving husband who never harmed Alice in any way. She never believed him when he said "to the moon", I'm pretty sure she smirked. He also said stuff like "I'm king, you're nothing", during episodes when it was crystal clear than she was the queen, and he the court jester.

Second, lots of great art is full of contradiction and tension. Tony Soprano is a loving family man, Walter White a bookworm. Springsteen's "Born in the USA" pairs patriotic uplifting music with a harsh indictment of the USA's mistakes. It is Ralph's bluster paired with his love inside the home and ineptitude outside that makes the show.

Third, it's been a long time, memory is a funny thing. I will try to watch again, and I will take down my salute if I come to agree with your point.