View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #1
BeaverIslandGuy

Default Marking Rocks with a buoy?

Hi Forum Members.

I have a question regarding marking some near-to-the surface rocks near our shoreline. I have searched both on the Winni Forum and general internet, but have not found anything directly on topic.

We have several rocks between 30-50 ft off shore that are about 2 feet below the surface, and therefore can create an issue with propellers and centerboards. While I and our “older” family members know where they are, guests and younger folk (aka grandkids) may not remember visit to visit.

May I mark them? If so, are there restrictions on what I may use to mark them? Is anything from a small float to a larger “danger -rocks” hazard buoy valid this close to shore? I would imagine that permits are not needed, in the same way that a raft permit is not needed (but different in that a mooring or swim area permit is). What are official NH Dept of Safety regulations?

Thanks in advance, as I know the forums have some more legally-types that can usually link to correct regulations.

PS. I know (OK - surmise) any such markers must not construe a hazard to Navigation (like a raft), but that would be the extent of my thoughts.