View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #76
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Just a reminder...my professional estimation of your speed is more than enough to hold you to a ticket. If I point my radar/lidar at you and nothing shows up, and I "estimate" that you were traveling in excess of a posted speed limit, that is good enough to ticket you. Tried and true, this is established precedent in Ohio and has been adopted by many other states including Massachusetts (not sure about NH but they are usually ahead of us when it comes to pro-police law)

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index....l_estimat.html

With this in mind...I don't hate speeders enough to need this. Just an interesting factoid.

Good luck, btw, the good guys always win...eventually!
HCG
hancoveguy, I have to ask if you don't think that's a tad frightening? I can see an officer pulling over a car going excessively fast like 50-60 MPH in a 25 MPH zone or 90-100 MPH. And I would call that reckless driving or some other applicable offense. If you want to tell me that on a highway you can visually estimate my vehicle to be going 76 vs 65 MPH or something like that with repeatable accuracy then I will call you out on that. The whole point of the radar/lasar equipment is to provide an objective measurement. In my case, unless I am the only car on the road and you are using radar/lasar, I've detected you from several thousand feet out and have already slowed.

I am shocked that the court did not just toss the case if the guy was not certified using radar. I also believe this is an overzealous enforcement and the state makes sure they don't lose these cases or they risk losing all that revenue. And, that decision was not unamimous. I'd like to see a US supreme court ruling on this case.

If you think this is good for society for judges to give carte blanc discretion to an officer to guess a vehicle speed to issue a speeding ticket then I give you no credibility. Luckily this is probably rare and if an officer used this more than once I think it would raise flags about why he's not using the state supplied equipment. There are checks and balances.

Just goes to show the speed limits are not about safety but revenue. Makes me smile even more knowing the stuff I have in my truck. Gives power back to the people