View Single Post
Old 12-21-2023, 02:50 PM   #163
JoeT

Default Septic Systems

I am not sure if anyone can say how much the substandard septic systems are contributing to the cyanobacteria problem, but I certainly would support and encourage testing. We bought our house on BC about 5 years ago. Just prior to the purchase we had a local septic company test the system, He noted the tank was dry but contributed that to the house being lightly used for the last few years. We ran water overnight to see if the tank would hold water. It seemed to hold a little water the next day or 2, ans he wrote a inspection report after consultation with the real estate agent stating he thought the tank was OK.

A year later we had a plumber check the distribution box and piping. It was filled with roots and had not seen and flow for years. We had the survey done and replaced the tank, fields etc. When we remolded we discovered a bricked in holding pit for gray water that we of course sealed off.

I raise this because there are a number of home in the area that were built at similar times and if the owners do not experience any backups or known blockage, they will never know if their property is contributing to the problem. We had no idea our septic was contributing, and ultimately when we pulled out the old tank it had a large crack in it.

I would be a very strong proponent of some sort of dye testing. I believe DES required registering of all new septic system after 1980. We could start by requiring testing of any systems that are not registered. Seems like a cost effective way to pick off some low hanging Cyanobacteria.
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeT For This Useful Post: