View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #7
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/s...-nebraska.html ..... almost no one reading this goes in the lake, let alone actually goes swimming ..... the number of people who swim in Lake Winnipesaukee is very low

Swimming is a Lake Winnipesaukee skill that was tried once or twice and forgot, many years ago. The big lake is all about boats with motors and motorboating.
Boats are just mechanism to transport the swimmers to their favorite swimming spot and carry their super noodles. Simply going to a town beach and swimming without a noodle is so old school its just for tourists who are actually banned from so many town beaches, but love to sneak in as it feels like getting away with something!

But the devoted water people burn copious amounts of expensive fuel to get to that perfect swimming spot. And too often when we arrive, my wife will want me to pull up anchor and go to a different location as the first one was not just right. So load up the noodles, pull up the anchor, drive 1/2 mile and stop to pull up the ladder the last person in the boat left down, and try again at another spot several gals of fuel later. Thank god the noodles dont weigh much and are flexible and easy to pack up. The anchor, chain and rope are another story and always a pain in the @$$. But this is still so much better than any old beach,,,

Well at least I get to enjoy the rumble of 8.2 liters of Mercruiser Monster under the deck! Thank god for power boats, but I sure do miss the wonderful smell of white marine gas and heavy 2 cycle oil mix, those were the real days of fun, and I'll bet the oil and gas mix spewed into the water from those old 2 stroke motors kept stupid Naegleria Fowleri under control ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote