View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
11 volts could be a parasitic load or a bad battery. When battery voltage drops below 11.8 volts on a lead acid 12V deep-cycle battery, damage is being done to the battery. If voltage drops below 12.1 volts on a lead acid 12V starting battery, damage is being done. Thus, regardless of what kind of battery you are using, damage is done...

I think the first step should be to find out if there is a parasitic load, then when that is sorted out, get a new battery, and finally test the charging system.

If you are using the battery for more than just starting and running, you may discover that the outboard alternator is inadequate to keep the battery charged. FWIW, I don't know anyone that regrets adding an onboard automatic battery charger that runs on 120VAC (house power). I am very pleased with the Pronautic charger on my boat.
Thanks for the tips. I don't have power available at the boat, so I'd have to use solar for any sort of charging.

How does one test for a parasitic load?

My tendency is to seek the simplest answer in any given situation and, given the battery is over five years old with nothing but use and disconnect in the winter, I'm leaning towards a failing battery, but am interested in anything (simple) I can do before having MVM look at it when it's returned in (sad face!) two months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote