View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Plywood jumboski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
My father and I made one of those disks in the early 60s. We all learned to ride on it. My brother was the best at it and still uses it today. He can do all the 360 turns, stand on a chair on the disk and do the turns as well. But the best trick of all is that he can dive the disk under the water, with the water up to his neck and come up again. My daughter's first experience was on the disk, standing between my brothers legs. That old piece of plywood has its original paint, somewhat worn and a lot of memories.
We didn't have a disk but instead used a plywood sheet cut down to maybe, (trying to activate some really old neurons) hmmm, 5' long and 3' wide. The tow rope was affixed to the nose on this "jumboski" and then fed up to the rider. Kinda like the old Sno-Snurfers if you remember them. We towed it (mostly) behind a 10' Sears gamefisher w/a 10hp 'Rude OB. Couldn't do the tricks mentioned on the disk, it was mostly an contest to see if the rider could stay up as the driver created large wakes and spun you though them (out of sight of parental units). Catching a leading edge was .. a) highly probable and b) time to get wet. Of course the trick was to launch off the board when you got caught and get points for the artistry of your dive. A friend of mine was good in this regard. I was, shall we say, artistically challenged.

This was in the early 70's ...

I still keep suggesting (to nobody in particular, I guess I just ramble off about nothing to anybody nearby) that there's a market for some form of towable toy for those of us past our slalom days but still not ready for the passiveness of a tube. Some kind of sitdown sled (more than a kneeboard, less than an air-chair) that the rider/driver can manuver to make sharp cuts and jump wakes and such.

ps - Interesting find RG. Where/how did you run across it ? If not video, could you grab a few stills/frames from the DVD and Photopost them ?

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 11-19-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote