View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
ApS

Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks for this list. More can be found at Military.com.

I've been reminded that proof of military service can be found on one's driver's license. Most states have this available with their "Real I.D." card. To check your state or territory, look here: https://veteran.com/veterans-id-on-d...card-by-state/

This summer, when buying a new Smartphone, AT&T asked if I had a DD-214 form with me. If not, I had ten days to dig it out. IDK if AT&T would've accepted the Florida driver's license Veteran designation as proof, but there would have been a substantial discount!

I winter in rural Florida, which has a considerable number of Veterans. I would need to arrive at 4-PM to find a parking spot, and there would still be long lines to contend with. (This, after a 8-mile drive).

After serving in the U.S. Navy 52 years ago, I have exercised these discounts exactly twice!

Speaking of "religious", a neighbor professes Atheism: Yesterday, I mentioned the use of side-scan detection in the recent discovery of the deepest shipwreck in the world. It is the USS Samuel B. Roberts, whose crew fought with unparalleled gallantry against a vastly superior force. It is legend among WWII defenders, being the smallest and slowest ship of the handful involved in the surprise "Taffy3" meet-up off the Philippines. Since my neighbor knew of this battle, his comment to me was, "Yes, I choke-up at the memory".

The last survivor passed away last March at age 98.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote