View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

1) "% chance of rain" is useless, completely useless. How much accumulation at what rate and exactly when is what's useful. See the green peak circled below. How sharp that peak is will tell you if roads will wash out AND WHEN......
I, too, like the Wunderground graphics for much the same reasons. For me, though, the % chance of rain is quite useful, as it gives me a good sense of timing. For example, a sharp spike in that blue shading at some narrow window in time suggests passage of a front, with an otherwise decent day on either side of it. A broad blue hump would imply a low coming in over a good many hours. The timing of the general ramp-up in % or rapid drop-down tells me if, for example, much of the day will be dry and thus useful for outdoor things before wet weather ends it, or if rain is expected to end early and leave the rest of the day fairly decent. This information on timing lets me plan my days well in advance. But all of that is based on accuracy of the weather models. I like to track how expectations change or don't change over some days in advance of when I hope to be doing something. Consistency in predictions suggests confidence in the model's predictions (this time), whereas frequent changing in expections leads me to think the various models aren't in great agreement. When I see inconsistency for a time of interest to me, I'll look also at NWS or Accuweather for comparison.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post: