Thread: Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #35
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
McMansion is a pejorative neologism, coined by NY environmentalist Jay Westervelt, (Westerveld)[1] to describe a particular type of housing that is constructed in an assembly line fashion reminiscent of food production at McDonald's fast food restaurants. The term is one of many McWords. A McMansion often denotes a home with a larger footprint than a median home, an indistinct architectural style similar to others nearby, and is often located in a newer, larger subdivision or replaces an existing, smaller structure in an older neighborhood.

A McMansion is generally considered[who?] a house between 3000 ft² (280 m²) to 5000 ft² (460 m²) in size, on small lots (the house itself often covering a larger portion of the land than the yard), in homogeneous communities that are often produced by a developer. Although they are generally large homes, they are mass produced and are not of the caliber of a mansion. Their cost places them in the purchasing range of the upper middle class segment of the population.

The term McMansion first appeared in the San Diego Union-Tribune in 1990[citation needed]; it later appeared in the Los Angeles Times[2] and New York Times in 1998.[3]

Mr V is correct, this can be a tough place to make a living. But I'd rather work to live than live to work.
It's all relative as they say. Yes, I can move "up there" tomorrow and make a living but that's all. I by no means am rich but I do live better in Mas than I would be able too in Moultonborough. Well that is unless a large defense contractor decides to open shop in the area. Personally I'm content doing weekends for now and moving part/full time later on. By the time I'm ready my 401K + pension + owning in Mass out-right should support my life style. See you then!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote