Thread: Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
The comment was not intended to dredge up that old Jim Morrison saw "the West is the best."

It was merely a statement of perceived fact.

Laconia is withering on the vine; the old jobs dried up and blew out of town long ago.

Where is an unskilled worker going to find a job which pays sufficiently to allow him / her to earn enough money to afford to buy a home and to seek a slice of the good life?

Not in the Lakes Region.

It seems to be almost third-worldish: Haves and Have Nots.

The lakefront is occupied by the well off and the wealthy, and well, most everyone else seems to be just getting by.

Absent: a thriving working class, and good paying employment for them.

If you come with money, great.

Otherwise, it will be tough.
I've been up here forever.....Laconia, or the Lakes Region is not withering on the vine. This has always been a rural, low-paying area. With all the chain stores up here most everyone has health insurance these days, unlike in the recent past (1970s) and though most folks are not getting rich, they are getting by like they always have. The unemployment rate is 3.8% in Laconia....that's it ! 3.8%.

You live by this myth that somehow this out-of-the-way place shoud be offering jobs like Boston or NYC. It is never going to happen, and it was never so. It is what it is here......same as always, and a little better from what I remember. There are more jobs here with benefits than in the past, and the population of Belknap county is up some 13,000 people in the last 20 years.....and all those 13,000 are not rich. I'll never understand why anyone would, or should think that this area is going to somehow be something it never was.....or never will be ?

As for being third-worldish....that's just silly The qulity of life in this area is OUTSTANDING for most folks. And the people that need help get it. Want the third world.....check out LA, and most of SoCA, lol.
There you will find "gated-communties" and millions upon millions of poor people living on top of each other.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote