Thread: Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
Mr. Moyer

Meteotrade. Your right we do have a difference in the way we look at things. First off, I don't assume that all mcmansions (still haven't found a true definition for this term) are weekend warriors. I think some of them are year round people that purchased a seasonal place, imploded it and moved up for the year round to enjoy the area for more then 3 months (an obvious plus in year round economy, not just the fickle tourist money). Also, although they may not go to the typical touristy areas, such as Weirs. They have established a higher end tourist trade, such as the Merideth Bay restaurants and Wolfboro attractions. As for them just staying in their house and watching their LCD TV's, that's silly. I think they do as much, if not more on the lake (especially this year) because the cost of gas doesn't limit them, and they don't have to worry as much about the cost of going to a restaurant. Whereas, I need to budget my expenses, and I may eat at my camp 3 nights and splurge by going out 1 night. Also, I need to think about how much gas, I'm burning, they may not.
This doesn't apply to those who by "mcMansion", but truly can't afford them. Those people have the same, if not, more budget concerns then me.
I think the other issue, is what I may consider a McMansion, and what someone else considers a McMansion. I consider them anything that is over 6000 sq ft, others may consider them anything larger then their own cottage. Room for interpretation.
Needless to say, either way you slice it, it's a down year on the lake and that effects many people, so it's not a great thing. But it's life and we all need to deal with our own situations and act accordingly.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote