Thread: Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Mr. Moyer

siksukr,

I agree. I recall previous posts that were questioning how "people can make money in this part of the country". I have to say, that I've lived in many parts of the country, and NH is a great place to earn a living. I think, like most parts of our great country, it depends on the industry that you are in relative to the community. If you are in a tourist area, and your business depends heavily on tourist dollars, you probably should have seen this down turn coming about a year and a half ago. God knows it had been a pretty good run for disposible income for the previous 10 years. The tourist business was booming. This "economic downturn" if that is what it is, will help weed out those who have allowed their business's and their lifestyles to expand, beyond their true earning capacity. I feel bad for those at Weirs and other parts of the lake, but for those who this is the first down economy they are experiencing, it will be a learning experience, and for those who have been around for 20+ years, they have survived before and will continue to operate through the difficult times.
What I found the most odd statement, was the comment on the McMansions. You can't have it both ways, we want people with disposible income to be in the area, during tough times, but yet we want to ostracize those with the money. These folks with the big houses and expensive boats. (the truly rich, not the impersonators) are who you want at your lake to keep things going. I for one welcome all, especially those with money, as long as they don't act like entitled buffoons, because they have a few bucks.

There is no doubt this year is going to be different then years past, but in the long run, and area as great as the lakes region, will come out unscathed and better for it. We will end up having better amenities due to restaurants, marinas and hotels treating their patrons as if they are welcome guests, because these are the only businesses that will weather the storm. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the lake, especially now when there are less people to share it with
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote