Thread: Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Mr. V

Default Trip Report

Arrived two hours late to MHT from PDX on my United flight due to thunderstorm delays. Whoa, a foreshadowing. Off to bed, lakeside. Upon arising I immediately noted that two McMansions now flank the property. Ack.

The water was higher than I'd seen it in summer, and very clear: the clearest in ten or more years. Also the lake was quieter, deader, than I have ever seen it. My nephew, who works at a marina for the summer, reports gas sales are way down. But Hannafords was busy: heck, we all have to eat. Rediscovered the joy of Polar beverages, which are not available out west.

Tried Waldo Peppers at its new location: yo, Bruce and Barb: you are sorely missed. 'Nuf said. Peking Tokyo was not as good as I remember, but Ellacoya was neat: great ambiance, service, and good food.

It is obvious that the state of the economy and the price of gas is having a huge effect on tourism. The cottages seem to be mostly vacant, and on the two nights I went to the Weirs it too was pretty empty. Wierd. But wierdest of all is the lack of patronage on the Mt. Washington. Good lord, how can they afford to run the Mount with very few paying passengers? Scanning her with binoculars from afar, she seemed a ghost ship. With fuel costs being what they are, the owners have got to be losing money, big time, which is a danged shame. I fear they may pull the plug. I would.

The highlight, as always, was seeing family again, and the feeling of timelessness when swimming in the lake, looking across the lake at the islands and the mountains. Very centering.

To conclude: now more than ever the lake can be a great place if you arrive with lots of money, but it seems a very tough place to try to make a good year round living.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote