View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
CanisLupusArctos

Default I prefer KCON norms

In the first few months of the WeatherCenter site, I used KLCI's norms for the almanac data. I learned to dislike them for the fact that Meteotrade mentions: The record just isn't long enough. The record highs and lows were all coming dated recently and the high/low averages seemed a bit skewed. I switched to KCON and within a few days I had the almanac data I was more accustomed to seeing: records often dated long ago, averages that seemed within a couple degrees of what I'd consider normal. I post them prominently as "Concord" for the same reason meteotrade mentions, also: Different parts of this area have different comparisons to Concord temps and my intention is that each site visitor has an idea of how many degrees warmer/cooler his or her location usually is, when compared to Concord.

Laconia will usually be closer than Moultonborough. But out on the lake where the Black Cat station is, it's a whole different story. It's very, very hard to get a day in the 90s out here unless the water temp is already in the 80s. In the spring when the mainland is up in the 70s for the first time, we're usually getting a breeze off the melting lake ice that's keeping the air temp down around 50. And we have a very late frost, come fall. Once again, the water temp plays a huge role.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote