View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 07:16 AM   #182
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Attn: LoveLakeLife
I apologize for the way I interacted with you in this thread a few weeks ago.
I've sent you a PM that elaborates a bit on why I reacted the way I did and, even though it doesn't excuse my responses, I am still sorry for the way I spoke to you.
Poor Richard, I reread your posts and I don't see any need for an apology. You said LLL has a low IQ. There are different types of intelligence, namely intellectual and social-emotional. The parenting style that LLL advocated shows a low understanding of children's needs. There is now a huge body of research-based knowledge about the aftermath of abuse, going back to at least the 1940s. Come on, we can even see the impact of abuse on dogs!

LLL made the following statements:
  • It’s problematic that some elementary schools have psychologists.
  • “Self esteem” by definition is established by oneself, not outside influences.
  • Mental “scarring” is internally manufactured and then whines about like “stress”. Non-snowflakes choose their own attitude.
  • Much fewer people got screwed up in the old system.

Those statements are factually incorrect and unenlightened. If you think that saying that LLL has a low IQ was rude, fine, but please don't let go of your beliefs about the damage caused by child abuse, because they have been proven by a tremendous amount of research.

If you read between the lines in this thread you might guess that several posters are reacting emotionally to what happened at the marina due to their own experiences of abuse, whether it happened to them, a family member, etc. That's not surprising---the CDC says that at least 1 in 7 U.S. children experiences abuse or neglect each year. That's an epidemic. For every person with views like LLL's who deny the harm caused by abuse, there are a hundred people who know the opposite because they experienced it or witnessed it. Knowing the truth and reacting emotionally when someone denies the reality of what child abuse does to a person right through adulthood needs no apology! I'm sorry you felt obligated to make a public apology. On the contrary, an apology was owed to you.