View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Everyone area will have positives, and negatives.

I enjoy visiting Wolfeboro and the shops on Main Street but there are a limited number of stores that are not high priced. We often go over by boat and patronize the restaurants.

The other side of the lake (Gilford/Laconia) has a lot of stores including two grocery stores and Lowes and WalMart.

If the home you buy is to become a full time home, as opposed to a weekend/vacation home, the proximity of stores becomes important. When you no longer commute from your present house that portion of your decision will no longer matter.

Some Saturday's while working on home projects (and because I am a poor planner) I end up at Lowes 2 or 3 times. It makes it easier because it is close by.

There are going to be trade offs wherever you buy but as has been said, the arrangements for a boat should be a serious consideration in the discussion.
The hardware store in Wolfeboro is excellent. It is a shorter walk from the docks to the store than it is from one end of Lowes to the other when you find yourself in the wrong department. And is easier to find knowledgeable staff. One thing I do like about big boxes is that I can order something in the local store for delivery to the FL store, and be sure of what I'm getting and return policy.

Boating?
Friends on Narragansett Bay keep their boat on a mooring and there is a launch to get them out and back. Works very well. If you have to row out and back in a dinghy, in the rain/wind, I'd say NO WAY! Watching the availability of slips and valet move up and down as marinas are bought and sold, I'd want to own my slip or rack if at all possible. Renewing a rental slip/rack can fail unexpectedly and you are always subject to rent increases. It is not unusual for rent to be due all at once for the year, no monthly payments. If you're buying a boat from a dealer, he will work hard to find a slip but that doesn't mean it is renewable in a subsequent season. Get the biggest one you can--you may want a bigger boat someday, and it will be easier to sell/rent should that become part of your plan.
Winter? Belknap County taxpayers get season pass discounts at Gunstock.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote