View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #79
Major

Default Trusts and Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
So I'm now free to call Major batsh*t crazy? Not that I would do that. I probably wouldn't.
I consider Sailin's characterization a badge of honor. The primary reason why I decided to venture back to the Forum after two years is because of the insanity that is going on with our country. It is people like Sailin and her insane ideas that are destroying the fabric of our great nation. Conservatives need to fight against these insane policies tooth and nail.

Unfortunately, the voices of the silent majority of Americans are not being heard. I am reminded of the famous quote from Pauline Kael -- “I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.” Most Americans do not believe climate change is an existential threat. They do believe, however, in conservation of our environment and energy independence. Most Americans do not believe the government's unconstitutional response to the virus was warranted. They do believe that modest measures should have been taken to protect our most vulnerable citizens and that the lockdowns, masking, social distancing and vaccines didn't work. Most Americans believe in controlling the border, funding the police, and relaxing of oppressive government regulation.

A quick note on trusts. My assets are in a trust controlled by my wife. We did this because we wanted to protect our assets from my business interests. I grew up in Laconia (Weirs) and like others have known many, many people who own waterfront properties. I can't think of one person who inherited their home. Without exception, all of them worked very hard and sacrificed to achieve a waterfront property. As I stated above, a recent study revealed that 89% of millionaires did not inherit their wealth. The trusts referred to by others are trusts like mine -- designed to protect assets, not to protect a vast fortune.

And finally, I noticed that one post mentioned privilege. Nothing crawls up my you know what like the mentioning of privilege. Like others who have commented above, the only advantage I had in life are awesome parents, who instilled in me values like, honesty, gratitude, hard work, integrity, sacrifice, fun, and self-reliance. My parents instilled in me the notion that NOBODY owes me a thing. Like many workplaces, my firm is exploring DEI training and from what I have seen, this is a destructive concept. The values espoused above are replaced by values like victimhood, jealousy, equity, etc.

To get back to the photo, there is a tale of two, not necessarily cities, but philosophies on life. This thread highlights the gap between the two.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: