View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 12:29 PM   #45
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Back in 1960, as part of my college major, I worked at Embreeville State Hospital in Chester County, PA, about an hour west of Philadelphia. At the time, I remember having an initial impression of disbelief that there were so many mentally ill patients housed there, many in total lockdown for their own protection. It certainly wasn’t a happy place, but they were all well cared for as far as medical and psychiatric treatment, medication, housing, nutrition, and all that one needs in order to exist. I learned a lot while there and certainly considered the training valuable. However, not too many years later, some brilliant politicians decided that mental hospitals were inhumane places, and one by one, they were closed, leaving the inmates to basically fend for themselves, which they were largely unable to do. My rendition of this is oversimplified, but that’s when the homeless problem gathered momentum, along with drug and alcohol addiction…..and that’s why we have a tale of two cities in many places, not just Laconia. JMO, of course.
Sue, you are so right. A good example is the Laconia State School. In spite of abuse accusations the people there were at least housed, fed and given medical services. When they were sent out into the community they had no idea how to even care for themselves. The result was a disaster for Laconia .
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post: