Thread: Fratello's
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 07:54 PM   #14
IrishEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I just googled gluten-free pasta and found that a little over 2 pounds cost about $14 or $15.

Did you know a typical commercial kitchen will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 burners on the stove. When the chef attempts to prepare dishes for a party of eight, a sense of orchestration has to take place to time the use of each burner in harmony. A restaurant that serves a lot of pasta will likely prepare it in bulk and then be able to quickly warm it in one pot of water that is constantly hot. (One burner down) it takes about 8 to 10 minutes to boil one and a half quarts of water for a special request Likely the amount of water needed to prepare one order of gluten-free pasta. Then 5 more minutes to cook the pasta. So 15 minutes may we’ll have been invested to accommodate someone’s special dietary preference. Knowing that would influence how a chef delegated the use of burners. Quite a challenge for a party of 8 in a full restaurant if you ask me.

Fratello’s has been around a long time and seems to be busier now than ever. That can’t be because they’re doing something wrong.

Well, I don't know where you searched for gluten free pasta, but I buy it all the time and it's under $4/lb.
https://www.vitacost.com/tinkyada-br...ten+free+pasta - $3.59/lb - it's the same price in Hannaford and little less at Market Basket.

If a restaurant has gluten free on their menu, preparing it for guests should not be an issue as they only offered one kind and I wasn't the only one in my party having it. And yes, having worked in some of the finer restaurants in the Lakes region, I'm very well aware of how a kitchen works.

Waiting over an hour for food is not acceptable. If they had warned us the wait would be this long, we would have gone elsewhere. So, I'm sure that's why they didn't mention the wait. Cram in as many patrons as you can to capitalize on it regardless of the dining experience to the customer. They're busy now because of vacationers. Unfortunately for them, we are all locals. How we are treated in the busy season will determine if we bother to frequent their establishments in the off season when they really need our business.

When they told us to go park at O's we should have stayed and had dinner there!

IrishEyes
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote