View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #44
blacksheep

I've got to say, Mr. Weiss... after reading your post on the Lavinia's page, and then doing a little research about Woodland's Tavern via your fb page, I'm not too impressed. I found your 'joke' about how you haze 'newbies' by making them look foolish, in order to put them in their place and send the message that they aren't 'chef's' obnoxious. I found the trite and flirty way you refer to women who comment on your fb page as 'babes' disrespectful and unprofessional. I couldn't find your educational credentials listed anywhere... and the photos of your food look like your style is primarily large portions smothered in various sauces - possibly delicious, but not exactly fine dining. Then I saw the picture of you, standing arms spread, in front of your newly acquired restaurant. Gotta say...not looking very 'executive chef' in that picture. Maybe this tone of 'competition' is the way it's done in Jersey, but it's really not the way it's done in the restaurant culture here around the lake. You need to keep in mind the fact that you may need something some day - an emergency product you've run out of, an employee, advice from a seasoned pro, any myriad of things. Typically area restaurants have been eager to support each other, and have enthusiastically offered help in times of emergency. The culture is not one of 'I'm better than you are!' it's more a culture of mutual respect based on the fact that everyone has worked hard to try to find a niche that meets a customer-based need, while offering somethng different than the guy down the street.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post: