Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #421
Skip

Post One last time folks...I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
...It would have been much more helpful to me, and others that have "commonly held misconceptions", for you to have explained what you think they are...
Fair enough...my apologies.

Quote:
...So without prompting another peek into your resume, how am I incorrect in saying that with no additional funding or manpower, that this new law will result in the diversion of crews? It's my understanding that a radar post on the water needs to be "static" so that means while radar is in use a safety patrol is NOT underway...
NHMP patrols already employ a great many hours of sitting static, closely observing boating traffic. Now some of these static activities will include the use of several radar guns. By the way, expect to see NHMP officers spending more time static this season and in the future.

Why?

Price of fuel. It will actually be the economy that impacts all law enforcement agencies, not just the NHMP, as they alter patrol practices to absorb fuel bills that in some cases have doubled this year with no additional funds allocated to offset the difference.

The economy has already and will continue to also eliminate or slow boating traffic across the Lakes region, regardless of the outcome from HB 847.

But back to the original question. Radar will be rolled in to the already scheduled practice of sitting still while observing. It just gives the officers another tool at their disposal for law enforcement purposes.

Quote:
...What will be very interesting to see, now that you pointed it out, is what the impact of the new law will be on the boating families throughout New Hampshire that don't normally travel fast but might not want to put their license on the line for violation of...say rafting rules...
My highlight for editorial purposes.

You really need to carefully read the final adopted version of HB 847 including the pertinent ammendments to RSA 270-D:2. Rafting Rules are not governed under the ammended RSA and hence will not be reported to NHDMV in case of a conviction. As a self proclaimed "cynic" that is highly critical of perceived mistakes made by the arguments of your opponents, it is incumbent upon you to have your facts straight. It is apparent by this and other comments you have made that while you remain highly critical of the ramifications of HB 847, you still do not have a firm grasp of what it actually entails.

Quote:
...And what's been lost in this debate is the Homeland Security mandate that coastal states, including NH, develop and implement a program getting recreational boaters involved in port security. That will also require manpower...
Devotion to Homeland and Port Security will remain a priority of the NHMP officers assigned to the Coast, a day to day mission that they have fulfilled for years since 9/11. The Federal Government has and continues to supplement with funding and manpower any additional resources they require of the NHMP in that arena. Rest assured that the NHMP can protect us from foreign & domestic terrorist attacks on Lake Winnipesaukee without detracting from their current daily assignments.

As a cynic you should be the first to recognize and dismiss the hype from reality.