Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #416
Skip

Post What's good for the goose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
...How is making a conviction for violationg HB 847 reportable to the RMV and tied to your drivers license remotely connected to the safe passage law?...
Easy question, easy answer.

But first, you cannot be convicted of "violating HB 847". HB 847 was a bill designed to temporarily ammend RSA 270-D:2. Part of that ammendment is that during the two year trial period, any violation and conviction of any subsection of RSA 270-D:2 on any public waterway results in automatic notification to NHDMV. Since the so called "safe passage" rules are a subsecetion of RSA 270-D:2 then any conviction for "safe passage" violations will become part of your driver's record. This is a new temporary feature designed to serve as an added deterrence. That's a definite and direct tie.

Quote:
...And no public official will ever say publically that they have to divert crews, but there is no additional funding under HB 847 so in order to enforce it, and they will enforce it especially the first summer because of the hot button political issue that it has become, it will require crews to be certified and deployed (diverted). I have never been a public employee so I can only use as an example what would happen to my business if I were forced to expand a service with existing personnel and no additional funding source. You have to prioritize and for 2009 radar posts will be the political priority...
So you have no evidence of this oft repeated claim. So is it fair that you continually badger the opposition for direct evidence of their claims????

Quote:
...As you know many of the Marine Patrol officers utilized during the summer are seasonal employees. I seriously doubt that the Marine Patrol will send seasonal employees through the training necessary to earn the certification needed to use radar that can be presented in court. I could be wrong about that but it would seem to me that permanent officers would be the ones they would certify...
Once again, conjecture with no basis for statement other than uninformed opinion.

There are two classifications of NHMP officer, full time & part time. Under NH Law there is absolutely no legal distinction in law enforcement capabilities or authority between the two classifications other than retirement and hours worked classifications. While some part time NHMP officers are indeed "summer seasonal" looking to start a law enforcement career, a number of others are retired full time officers with years of experience. Additionally, only one officer needs to have certification, the officer signing the ticket. A two man team could easily consist of a spotter that requires no certification, and the issuing officer. And surprise, surprise. Even amongst the ranks of fulltime land based officers, many are not radar certified and do not operate radar units, or only specific types. During the two year trial period there will be some boats with a radar unit & certified officer, and many boats with neither. It will all be rolled into their daily routine.

Quote:
...The NHMP could apply for radar grants, but wouldn't they have to show a need and the ability to use the additional equipment? Again I doubt that seasonal officers would be a plus when applying for a grant like this since they are unlikely to be certified in the use of radar...
How familiar are you with New Hampshire? We only have a handful of cities and large towns, mostly in central and southern areas. The vast majority of the State and its police departments are small, rural in nature and mostly comprised of part time chiefs & officers. Yet these departments with their part time employees successfully employ radar and radar grants, intoxilizer (breathalyzer) and DWI grants and a host of other training and supplemental funding opportunities. The NHMP will be no different.

Quote:
...Land based law enforcement officers do make radar part of their routine patrols, but again they are certified and for the most part, permanent officers not seasonal employees.
Completely incorrect. The majority of law enforcement officers in this State are part time. See my preceding paragraph.

Its simple. As I stated before, if you are going to demand that Bear Islander and his supporters provide proof of their positions, it is only fair of you to offer the same. And quite frankly you've waded way out past the swim line with your positions in reference to the above cited matters.

Hope this clears things up for some...as always, feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions!

Safe boating,

Skip