Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #409
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
You do realize that the boat that was in the accident is not a GFBL, right? It's just a big, quiet, family, day-boat with limited overnight accommodations, a head, and a galley, that barely exceeds the 45 MPH day limit. The speed limit will do absolutely nothing to drive boats like that from the lake. It ENCOURAGES them.

When you consider the boat was a 2008 model and the season is still young, I bet that boat was not used for many weekends at all.

If you feel threatened by boats, living on an island is really a bad idea.
It might come as a surprise to you, but Google the attempts to exceed 61mph in this Formula.

Or read this test result of an equivalent Formula 37,
Quote:
On a 94-degree day, the boat reached 58 mph at 5,100 rpm on GPS. Our lead test driver thought the boat with Mercury Bravo Threes may have been a little underpropped and with the right set could have topped 60 mph. Formula likely picked props that were best for overall performance and not just for top speed.
This is so typical of Formula and other GFBLs to look for that extra 3 mph, when it is so unnecessary to push something so big on this lake.

Or worse yet for us boaters on Winni,

Quote:
"It has manners like a smaller boat but it's like driving a condo around,"
The larger and more comfortable a boat, the more insulated you are from this lakes many igneous realities. (See the "condo" reference.)

Encourages?

Yes, we will probably see more GFBLs this year. With the possible exception of member Cal, they are accustomed to trading gasoline for thrills. Some will want to rub our noses in the new law by showboating their skills at the excess speeds allowed this season.

Now go ask someone living on your state's Long Lake if they feel threatened.

Expect residents on Long Lake's shores to disagree with that "bad idea". You don't even have to go to an islander to ask.

Neither you or VtSteve live on Winni. Do you hide personal concerns that Winni's worst offenders might trailer to your own states' waters to ruin your concept of paradise?

VtSteve writes,
Quote:
That's what bothers me the most. Such a transparent agenda was masked by safety. A cowardly fight against a group of people.
As long as A.I.S. is used to excuse bad boaters, we can never know the benefits to boating safety this new law could provide.

VtSteve also wrote,
Quote:
I'm sure you have even hoped that the facts would be the boat was doing 70 when the accident took place. That's bitter for sure, and it seems to fit given the posts on this board.
That is a totally unfair accusation, when my own opinion of terminal speed is 30. You are accusing many New Hampshire members with the remark, "some will hope for 70."

I'm starting to feel like Evenstar.