Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #404
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Are you proposing that we remove all speed limits from our highways because drunks don't obey them? Call me crazy but if I have to get sideswiped by a drunk, I think my chances of survival are better if it's a 30 MPH drunk than a 60 MPH drunk.
Anyway...I hope in your inevitable reply that you're able to tone it down a notch...for your sake and the sake of your argument.....TB
TB- The problem is that with or without a speed limit, a drunk is still a drunk. They are breaking the law (a much more serious charge than a few points on a license and a small fine) in the first place so why do you think that a speed limit will control them?

Yes, some drunks slow down as not to be noticed. These are probably the slightly innebriated whereas the more liquored up are a bit more brazen, bold and are more likely to show off behind the wheel of a boat.

A speed limit won't prevent drunks from doing what they do, which is drive drunk. It is the consequences of the drinking, not the speed that are the root of the problem.